Posts tagged love
Posts tagged love
If you’re reading this it means I refrained from doing stupid things long enough for me to procreate. I’m feeling a bit nostalgic and a little sentimental because I just had one of the best weekends of my life and there are a few things that I think are important for you to know:
1) You will never have friends like the ones you have when you’re 19. These people will do the most amazing things anyone will ever do for you and you won’t even realize until it’s too late to thank them. They will see how ugly you are when you cry and how soft your leg hair gets when you go a while without shaving. They will spend five hours in a tattoo parlor with you trying to make you smile while a needle is going in and out of your chest. They’ll share cheap cigarillos with you and buy you alcohol because you’ll be the last to turn 21 and then when you’re all drunk together you’ll listen to loud music and dance and take your clothes off because being drunk in your underwear with your friends brings you closer than any cliched song by some silly underground band. They’ll have a contest to see who’s the best at nipple foreplay and you’ll have to be the blindfolded judge. When you tell them about all of the horrible things your parents have done and why they’re responsible for your misery these people will listen quietly and make jokes at the perfect time. If you’re doing it right, when you’re 19 you’ll be in a constant state of about two impulsive decisions away from destroying yourself. No matter how deep you are these are the people who are going to pull you back out again. They will mend every broken promise with the cheapest knockoff duct tape they can find and they’ll be the first to tell you when you’re the one who’s doing the breaking for a change. You’ll never have friends like this every again and you’ll be lucky if they last more than a few years. People change, circumstances change, jobs change, schools change, relationships end, and new ones begin. Just try to keep the good ones close for as long as you can.
2) There is one person who you’ll always be in love with and it probably isn’t the one you’re dating but that’s okay. Timing and patience are things that take a long fucking time to learn and once you do it’ll probably be too late. So you learn from that mistake and you don’t make it again and maybe you marry someone perfect and have beautiful children and a happy life. I bet even at 97 years old you still think about that person you’ve loved since you were in college and you still want to go back even if it changes the entire course of your life. Be patient and conscious of your choices.
3) What you think will make you happy and what will actually make you happy are entirely different. Don’t pick a career in high school. Always try something new and always say yes, unless it’s yes to crystal meth or gang violence or something.
4) You’re going to fuck up. When you do just put whatever you broke back together instead of replacing it.
5) Bake cookies for people you love. No apology or thank you is complete until food has exchanged hands.
This is all I have so far and I think it’s pretty good considering I don’t know fucking anything about the world or being a real grown-up yet.
It’s been seven months and twenty-eight days since the first time I saw you naked.
Since I’m lonely, bored, sad, and unstable I wanted to torture myself further by listening to this on repeat.
Christina Perri - A Thousand Years
I fucking hate Christina Perri and I will never admit to anyone how much I love this song.